Tuesday, August 16, 2011

i HATE polycythemia.

{Addie & Papa}

Life and its curve balls...
My dad has had polycythemia vera, going on 15 years. But I am sure he hates it more.
My dad is strong... but damn damn damn I hate what this has done to him.

This past Thursday, my mom called me at work. She called to tell me that my they just left the Dr. and my dad had stage 5 kidney failure. I melted.
They sent them home only to tell them to wait for a call with a plan, depending on the blood draw they had just done. They called at 11:30 to tell him that his potassium levels were at a lethal level and to get to the ER. I was told to stay put and they would call me if anything changes - dad was fine. Well you see, I can't. I am the favorite daughter, the oldest, and I am in charge {or so I think}.
I went to the ER. The Dr.'s said his kidney's were still not functioning - but yet he was still able to urinate. They also said with a potassium level that was that high, it should be showing on the EKG - which it was not. My dad was uncomfortable, but seemed "okay". I left the hospital, they were going to admit him. He has now developed a stomach pain, that he said was awful. My dad isn't a baby - if he says it hurts - it hurts. They released him on Sunday and they are doing an upper GI today. Please pray that it is something minimal. I love my dad. He is my hero, my daddy. And the unknown drives my crazy.

2 comments:

*Katie* said...

I love and hate that picture at the same time. It's so sweet, I love the look on his face with his sweet grandbaby -- but I am so sorry for what he (and all of you) are going through. I am praying for you -- for him -- for all of you. All the time. Love you <3

Rachel Lovato said...

Bree, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that everything is okay. Lots of prayers and love your way! Let us know if we can do ANYTHING to help! If one night you ever need to leave Addie with me-my kiddos would love it!!